Onsen in Victoria

By Cubie - September 09, 2013


I have not been to Mornington Peninsula despite it being a popular day trip option from Melbourne. There were plans but just didn't materialise. The first time the plan just fell off, and the second time I was sick. Third time's a charm, so they said and it is probably true as I did make it to Mornington Peninsula this third time.

However it was also a day where my packing failed big time, don't know what's in my head at that time. So - three's a charm or bad things comes in three? Grin.
  1. I planned to put on my contact lens and somehow forgotten, till I was at the train platform.
  2. Forgot to bring my camera, so pictures were taken with phone camera
  3. Failed to pack a pair of slippers despite I specifically asked my friend what to pack and she clearly stated that in her text, so I ended up barefooted from one pool to another. = ="
This little getaway was mainly to celebrate Little P's cousin's birthday. Mmmm, I was invited and in my attempt to be less anti-social and more so to grab any chance to see Victoria, I decided to tag along :P

Birthday girl opted for a group booking "Fresh Break" cost $90 per person, inclusive of a full day bathing in the pools complete with towel and robe hire, also 5 course lunch plus a dessert fruit platter and a drink of choice. The food was really good and I finished off with my current favourite - a long macchiato.

Corn fritters with praws

Chicken with sauce, served with rockets

Vietnamese style salad

Lamb with couscous

Salmon with Soba

Fruit platter served with chocolate

Here's another photo - strawberry with chocolate, just because it was yummy, one of the best pairing with chocolate :P


Just before you think I travelled all the way and just stuffed myself silly with food, we did try the hot springs. This is a different ball game from onsen in Japan - one does not stripped naked but goes into the pool with a swimmer/bather (whichever word you prefer). Also, you could take photographs if you want to but only on your own group of friends or family. I didnt, because I didn't want to carry my phone around, partly because there was no pocket on my robe and that I could just see myself dropping the phone into one of the pool.

After a very fulfilling lunch, we were brought to 'check-in', given a towel and robe, also a wrist band that act as a 'key' to the locker. When you hover the hot spring sign on the locker, it will open/close.


'Chip' behind the wrist band
Like I mentioned above, I didn't take photos of the exact hot spring location but here are a couple of photos on the surrounding area.




It was a good experience, there's nothing like hot spring on a winter day but I would much prefer it if its quieter and mm, a more serene feel. Ahh.. how I miss onsen in Japan :)


Side note: I can't stop eating during weekends = ="

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Oh! Drool over the food.

    I wanna go and soak in an onsen too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry - have been busy. Grin - nothing like good food and onsen for rest and relax after a busy week too ^^

      Delete
  2. Never mind the onsen; just give me the fruit platter with chocolate!

    Further proof that I've been in Japan for a long time: I find the idea of a hot bath in a bathing suit very odd! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - must be the chocolate that have won you over.. grin.

      Mmm.. i find hot bath in a bathing suit strange as well.. in my friend's word, somehow kind of under utilising the onsen!

      Delete