Jaipur: Jal Mahal, Hawa Mahal and a bazaar

By Cubie - October 14, 2014

Jal Mahal


Likewise the Lake Palace in Udaipur, we only saw this from afar. How apt that this is built based on the Lake Palace by Madho Singh I where the king spent his childhood.

Jal Mahal meaning "Water Palace" is situated in the middle of Man Sagar Lake in Jaipur City. The palace appears to be "floating" in the monsoon season. It was used as a lodge for duck shooting parties.

Hawa Mahal



I was rather disappointed that we didn't visit enter the premise of Hawa Mahal. Truth to be told, I thought this building looks exceptionally majestic and when I first saw the photo of Hawa Mahal, I wanted to this this. However according to our guide, this was only a facade, there isn't anything behind this beautiful facade. After returning from India, I read that visitors are permitted to climb up the winding ramp to the top.

Hawa Mahal, translated as the "Palace of Winds" was first erected in 1799 by Sawai Pratap Singh. It's tiered baroque-like composition of projecting windows and balconies with perforated screen was so designed to enable the ladies of the harem to watch the colourful street scenes unnoticed.

It is believed that Hawa Mahal has resemblance to the crown that adorns Lord Krishna's head as Sawai Pratap Singh was a devotee.

Bapu Bazar


We had some time to spare before our dinner and told our driver to drop us at some bazaar so we could stroll about and perhaps shop. I believe the bazaar he dropped us was Bapu Bazar given the vicinity to the Albert Hall but I am not entirely sure.

Our first stop was a shop selling bangles. Little P has a Punjabi suit and was looking for some bangles to complement it. I was just fascinated with the many choices. We did leave with some purchase, and Little P has got her pink and gold bangles to go with her Punjabi suit.


In fact, I think the only purchase we made were from the bangles shop. We didn't take a lot of photos, was busy guarding our belongings and avoiding street kids....


I have been eyeing these for the longest time but my worry of food poisoning got the better of me


Side note: Unsuccessful food experiments :(

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments