2015 Open House Melbourne - Russell Place Substation

By Cubie - August 23, 2015


Open House Melbourne is an annual event in Melbourne. This year it was over the 25th-26th July weekend. As with all free events, the queue is long. I started the day with a brunch with a friend and she dropped me in the city. My first pick was this Russell Place Substation. The admission to this specific venue comes with a 30 minutes guided tour and we had to don a safety hat and overall.

My session of tour was guided by a power station engineer and a power station supervisor. Russell Place Substation is located at this very unassuming laneway between Little Collins Street and Bourke Street. In fact it was only a door from the laneway. I did not expect that it was so much spacious inside.

This substation houses a few transformers and supplies about 25% of power to Melbourne CBD. There was display of old electrical related things though I am not sure if they were just placed there because of this open house or there all the time.






Side note: Arrgh.. so embarrassing. I so want to dig a hole and hide there :|

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments