A last minute, lazy holiday to Fiji

By Cubie - January 21, 2017


This was a sort of spur of the moment holiday, having just booked my flights in the second week of December 2016 with the travel happened from Christmas Day to New Year. It was rather last minute that the company decided to enforce mandatory leave from Christmas to second week of Jan 2017. My annual leave gets deducted from this, so instead of sitting around moping at home, I decided I might as well go somewhere.

Fiji is made up of 333 islands and many tiny islets. Two thirds of Fiji's island remain uninhabited. Fiji is an adaptation of Tongan pronunciation of "Viti", originally written by Europeans as "Feejee". Most of the population are ethnic Fijians, followed by Fiji-Indians and the balance are Chinese, Europeans and various Pacific Islanders.

Source: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/pacific/fiji/
Like most people, I arrived in Fiji at Nadi Airport located on Viti Levu, the biggest island. A collection of islands just off Nadi's coastline are known as Mamanucas, and further north of Mamanucas lies the Yasawa Islands.

My holiday plan was as simple as it can get, I can only spare a week to be away, the following week to be left to run errands. On top of that, there was flight tickets price to be taken into consideration. After googling like a monster, my flight out was on 25th Dec evening and back on 31st Dec night, reaching home on the New Year's Day.

25/12, Day 00 - On flight
26/12, Day 01 - Reached Nadi Airport, took ferry transfer to Nacula Island* (Blue Lagoon Beach Resort)
27/12, Day 02 - Nacula Island*
28/12, Day 03 - Nacula Island*
29/12, Day 04 - Nacula Island*
30/12, Day 05 - Took ferry transfer back to Nadi* (Oasis Palms Hotel)
31/12, Day 06 - Nadi, flight out in the evening
01/01, Day 07 - Reached Melbourne past midnight.
*referring to where I stayed overnight

To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about going to Fiji as Fiji gives the vibe of either family holidays or lovey-dovey couples getaway. It was none of the above for me, I was travelling by myself. It turned out to be ok, I didn't feel that out of place, probably because I also opted to sleep in a dorm to save cost.


Side note: Turtles are considered as good luck in Fiji. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments